Part I: 10 Lessons from 2013

29 December 2013

Wow, sorry for that long hiatus! I cannot begin to explain how busy life has been during the month of December (read: tons of volunteer events, working late evenings, going to my sister's university for Vespers, Christmas shopping, countless holiday parties…the typical December activities!). So, time for this blog to become more of a habitual activity again. New Year's Resolution No 1: writing posts once a week again-hopefully that holds up :)

In looking back at 2013, I decided to make a "10 Lessons" list. Then, as New Year's rolls around, I plan to create a "Part II: 10 Goals for 2014" post. So, here goes:

1. Earlier in the year, I learned how important it is to listen to myself when the time comes for big changes. Yes, there are always many people who want to weigh in on my future (family, friends, mentors, etc.), but ultimately, I know what I need to be happy in life, and while I may not always be correct, at least I make mistakes for myself that I can learn from. As many of you know, my senior year at Denison was trying at times, and I was ready for a new lifestyle and culture. However, deciding what that change looked like was harder than I expected. Other than the obvious-I don't want to be in Ohio for one more second-there were a whole lot of questions I had to ask myself. Ultimately, the decision to work at a nonprofit in Chicago through LVC has been a very rewarding, and challenging, choice that I continue to be glad I made for my future.

2. When I graduated, I knew I would only keep a few friends close to me, just as I did when I graduated from high school. I have loved keeping these friends in my life as the postgrad world continues to throw curveballs at me. It is always comforting to talk to someone who understands where I am coming from-and I love getting a new letter in the mail when I come home from work! To my pen pals and my phone chat dates-you're the best <3

3. Valuing my family is something I did not fully come to understand until I moved abroad. All of the sudden, knowing I could not see their faces or easily communicate with them for 5 months really highlighted how much I count on them. My family is the main reason I moved home this year, and I do not regret it one bit. From little weekend getaways, trips downstate to see my sister, and family dinners with my grandparents and aunt's family, I continue to learn how truly blessed I am.

4. Having a "real" job i.e. 9-5, is a little more trying that I envisioned. Suffice to say that I have learned I cannot sit behind a computer for 8 hours and be at my strongest-I believe I am at my best when I am interacting with people face-to-face. I find that working from home and creating my own schedule is far more effective for my brain and personal well-being. We will see what future careers I embark on, but I know they will not be your typical work day. And, my desire to work in nonprofits for the rest of my life has never been stronger. I literally cannot see myself doing anything else and being happy.

5. Drink a glass of wine every day. The French do it. I do it. It makes you a happier person; that is all.

6. Living in community, i.e. my LVC house of 6 roommates, continues to teach me something new each day. I have learned to be more patient, willing to converse in trying situations, and open to meeting people from different lifestyles. I have also come to appreciate the many lessons my family has taught to me over the years, and learn from others what their parents have instilled in them. There are ups and downs, but I know that after this year I will be forever grateful for the many lessons I have learned because of my them.

7. I am beginning to understand, little by little, what privilege means in the context of my life. I have talked more about social justice issues in the past four months than I have my entire life. Now new blogs, articles, and posts catch my eye because of this burgeoning knowledge, and I am anticipating much more knowledge and understanding in the year ahead.

8. While it is hard, I am trying to live more in the present instead of constantly looking towards the future. As my time abroad taught me, it is important to value the moment you are in and the people you share it with. Of course, having a one-year contract only causes me to think more about the future of "after July 25th" even more. My current goal of doing three new things in Chicago during the week, and then exploring on the weekends, has helped me continue to meet this goal, and hopefully I can continue with this momentum.

9. Coming back to Chicago has showed me how much I love my home city, and also how much I still have to learn from the international community. I am more "francophile" than ever (daily French podcasts, Netflix French movies, Le Monde articles), and I am learning how much I continue to value French culture in my life. While I am always going to be American in many ways, I am still yearning for more international discoveries and more insight into how I can be my fullest self.

10. Above all, I am grateful. This is the most important lesson I have learned in 2013-from having my family at graduation and saying goodbye to my favorite professors to meeting new friends in Chicago and embarking on a sustainable lifestyle, I have come to value my loved ones and upbringing all the more. This quote has always stayed with me: "If the only prayer you ever say is thank you, that will suffice."


No comments:

Post a Comment