10 Goals for 2014

12 January 2014


Photo Courtesy of Prof KRG

1.     Twitter > Facebook. Twitter is a source of news for me (I follow TIME, BBC, NPR, etc.) that actually has relevant articles (Forbes, Levo League) that I find value in. Just the other morning I woke up to learn that the previous leader of Israel, Ariel Sharon, had died-which I consider to be much more important than knowing which bar some of my old high school friends were at last night. Facebook has become a combination of me knowing too much about people I do not care much about, and not knowing anything very meaningful about those I am actually close to. I keep it only to as a communication source via messages and groups-but cutting back will be healthy as I continue to focus on the present and people who matter to me now.

2.     Write more. When I was five I declared I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. In sixth grade I made a tri-fold at our career fair with the word “Author” spelled-out neatly in die-cuts across the top. I have tried not to lose sight of this passion over the years, but it can be hard to find the time to really just sit down, reflect and write down those thoughts. My blog continues to be a source for my writing, as is The Key, my sorority’s national magazine. I want to make journaling a regular habit, and maybe even jot some fictional thoughts down from time to time.

3.     Live for me. I sort of touched on this in my previous post-but I want to continue to focus on making life decisions to better myself. Yes there is this silly thing called finances that I suppose I should be thinking about seeing as I am 23, and possibly student debt, career projections, networking…the list is endless. However, at the end of the day, if I am not happy with what I am doing and where I am in life, I have only myself to blame. 

4.     Stop worrying about My Twenties. I have ready so many articles this past year about being in My Twenties: “Lies You Are Telling Yourself About Your Twenties,” “23 Things to do Instead of Getting Engaged Before You're 23,” followed by “24 Things You Should Do Besides Getting Married Before you are 24”…you get the picture. It seems everyone is either obsessed with telling me what I should be doing with my life, or what I should be avoiding in my life. Maybe I should just figure that out for myself, whatever that looks like, regardless of anyone else’s rule book. Chances are I will end up much more satisfied when I am 30.

5.     Take advantage of Chicago. I live in a fabulous city-great entertainment, restaurants, bars, outdoor festivals, concerts-there is literally something going on every day at every hour. Aside from a sometimes difficult to accommodate budget, there is no excuse to let these events pass me up. So, time to follow more Chicago Twitter accounts, religiously peruse the Reader, and devote my waking hours to Chicago Magazine.

6.      Eat cleaner. I already eat a fairly healthy diet-pescetarian, heavy on the fruits and veggies, majority whole grains, green tea every morning, etc. However, I know I can eliminate some more processed foods from my diet (cheese, milk, overly-processed carbs) and emphasize more natural products. As long as I can continue to tell myself that a glass of red wine in the evenings is still healthy…

7.     Connect more with my church. I have already taken some steps-attending Young Women’s Bible Study, joining the church choir-but there are so many more ways to get involved! I am hoping to jump-start our Coffee Fellowship hour again, and meet some new faces :)

8.     Read more. Actually close the computer/turn off the phone. And read.

9.    Be more socially aware of what is happening in Chicago. Receiving The Tribune was a blessing. Every day I knew what the big issues were in the city, and I could discuss them with my housemates. However, without the morning paper, it has become a little harder. Step One: more Chicago Twitter news sources, get The Tribune daily email (if that exists), read The Reader cover-to-cover. Second step: find someone to sponsor our Tribune subscription again...

10. Meet more people who possess similar interests: attend more nonprofit networking events, try-out an event for the CSO or Art Institute Auxiliary Council, volunteer for missions that resonate with me, go to more Kappa events. Continue to connect with inspiring people in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment