Life, Life, Life!

05 September 2013


So many things are happening! I have started some great conversations with my housemates in the past few days surrounding issues of intentional community, spirituality, etc. but right now I just need to write a general update on what is happening! I am also far too tired to be philosophical right now…so I’ll save that for this weekend.

My job is so exciting! I have recently been going on site-visits to other non-profits (NPOs) in Chicago to checkout their volunteer programs. I love these mini field trips because I get to a. chat with a volunteer coordinator 1:1 and swap ideas, b. see a different work environment and c. see more of Chicago! So far the chats have been mutually beneficial, and I have some exciting and fresh ideas to bring back to LCN. I can’t wait to start implementing them.

Also, just going to put it out there, I love knowing that I have chosen the right starting career path for myself. The NPO world is definitely the place for me, and volunteer management is much more up my alley than I originally thought. Knowing each day that I am passionate about the work I do, and have the skills to complete the tasks on my plate is very rewarding.

Starbucks + Interview folder=Ready for some NPO Site-Visits.
Discovered some Red Wine Cookies (Vegan!) at a local coffee shop in Pilsen when visiting LIFT.
This past week, in addition to my site visits, I also shadowed a Saturday volunteer program. We got to welcome a team of Mexican immigrants who live in the Western suburbs (near me!) to help organize our clothing closet and cook lunch for our youth staying at Solid Ground (a living facility for male-identified youth between the ages of 16-21. They can live at SG for up to two years, receive meals, case management support, education/professional support, etc.). I can’t wait to oversee my own Saturday volunteer group and lead initiatives that have a direct impact on our community.

Ok, enough fun “job talk,” I have also had some great time out of the office. Last Monday I finally got to see my good friend Will’s production of Romeo and Juliet at Moody Pub, a bar in Edgewater. The show was performed on the patio of the bar, which was a really fun and unique atmosphere for the drama. I loved seeing him perform (we did high school theatre together back in the day!) and sharing the experience with one of my housemates. Al fresco dining + Wine + Late Summer Evening + Shakespeare =Perfect Monday Night.
My friend in his role as Friar Lawrence in R&J.

Taking his turn as Lord Capulet.

I also got to enjoy another outdoor venue with my co-workers on Wednesday at a going away party for one of our team members. In addition to being the Greeting Committee, i.e. handing out nametags, I also chatted with some colleagues and got to know them better. It can be hard to connect in a busy office, especially when I am in my own little Development World, and not interacting often with other people. It was a perfect environment to unwind and chat with some familiar faces. Oh, and free food and drink. Those words pretty much guarantee I will go to an event, haha. #StipendStruggles

Getting ready for the LCN going away party.
Of course, what would a week in Chicago be without a free event at Millennium Park?? We saw the premiere of the Chicago Jazz Fest on Thurs. evening, and it was…interesting. Suffice it to say, I probably enjoyed the picnic we brought (kale and feta crepes with a black bean salad) more than the avant-garde saxophone scat solos. Maybe it’s a sophisticated taste…but that was not the jazz I was expecting.
Jazz Fest Premiere. 


Our sophisticated picnic. Kale, Spinach and Feta Crepes for the win!
Labor Day Weekend in Photos:
Lunch at Toni's Patisserie & Cafe with my mother.
 
Nicoise Salad.

Veggie and Goat Cheese Panini.

AIC time.


Best Exhibit Ever.
Mon Pire Cauchemar at Gene Siskel.

Waking up to French Toast with homemade oats & molasses bread. 

Starting (and finishing) The Fault in Our Stars. Highly recommend!
Other things that happened (not in pics):
Massage
“Amour” (won the Oscar last year. beautiful and touching.)
Community Dinner with other LVC house in Chicago+ A game of Taboo

So, basically, best weekend ever! I will update you soon with some of these mysterious “deep conversations,” haha. Still loving the Chicago Life!

xx
SommerAnn

P.S.
Roomie Cultural Experience: Berger cookies from a Baltimore bakery. Cookies covered in fudge. Yum.

Berger cookie time!
Oh, and I survived a HAIL STORM. Almost died. Almost.




No comments:

Post a Comment