Hello there, 9-5 world!

25 August 2013


I can’t believe I have finished my first whole week as a 9-5 employee! So crazy! Living in the city, commuting to work, working at my desk in the office, counting down the days until Friday-I feel like such an adult!

What I’m Doing


LCN Plug: Check-out this feature that ABC7 did about the amazing things La Casa Norte doing in the community. It aired Sat. night in Chicago. (BONUS-I'm featured in the video!)


My first week has of course been a barrage of information and new responsibilities, but I can confidently say that I love my job. My supervisor has been very supportive as I start taking on my volunteer management tasks-although she had to go to a conference for the majority of this week, and I’ve been doing a lot of “orienting” on my own. It is crazy to start re-structuring the volunteer program while still learning what my exact role is in the organization, and what the current program looks like.

“Projects of the Week” included researching potential Chicago non-profits (NPOs) to shadow so I can learn more about their volunteer programs, and start to revamp our own. Conducting this research inspired me every morning because I got to learn about all of the amazing things that Chicago NPOs are doing every day. There are so many issues being tackled by these organizations from homelessness and hunger to education and employment. Best of all, these orgs all offer rewarding and tangible volunteer opportunities. I know that even if I leave the NPO world, I will always have a chance to give back to the community. Although for now, I love that my job is helping the local community by giving children beds to sleep in, school supplies for the upcoming year, and clothes to wear. Having that direct correlation between my daily work and a social justice issue is why I love being in the NPO world. I cannot wait to meet our volunteers and lead my first program to see even more great work being done!

In tandem with my NPO research, I have also been looking into local associations and conferences for those in the volunteer management field. Looks like my bff from senior year is back again-Networking! Although, I am much more excited to meet people in the field I am currently working in and learn from their programs and experiences, rather than fish for answers on what I want to do postgrad. Thankfully, that question has been answered (for one year anyway!).

Where I’m Doing It

The Development Office is small, but has a window-which makes all the difference! I am still learning faces and names since we have 4 offices on North Ave. and not everyone makes it to our office every day. I know it will take a while, but everyone has been so friendly and welcoming.
The Development Office.

My temporary desk.

How I Feel About It

It is always difficult to transition to a new environment, especially since I am working in a field that I am very new to, and learning about my own tasks and responsibilities in addition to acclimating to the LCN (La Casa Norte) culture. Not to mention still learning about my housemates, living in the city, and living on a budget (a topic for another time). Lots of factors to keep in mind when sometimes I just want to come home at 6:00 and sleep until 7:00 the next morning.

And All of the Awesome Stuff That Goes Along With It

By far my favorite part of this postgrad life is living in Chicago. It is truly the best city, and I am so glad I decided to “come home.” I feel so connected to culture and events; they are so accessible now that I don’t have to drive an hour to get to them (although the commute can sometimes be an hour when you calculate in walking and the L!). Just these first two weeks I have already attended two free events in Millennium Park (Rite of Spring Grant Park Orchestra concert, and the finale of the Chicago Dance Festival), gone to two of my favorite restaurants (Paris Club with a middle school friend who is in town, and Big Star with a Denison alum), and been to our local Logan Square Boulevard Bash festival. I am in love with all of the opportunities that are right down the street, and my daily Trib reading keeps me up to date with all of the fun prospects. (This week includes an abridged version of Romeo & Juliet at an Edgewater bar, free tix to a White Sox game, and (finally!) a visit to the Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity exhibit at the Art Institute).
Provençal Rosé: classic.

Pretzel croissants & mustards (also the cheapest thing on the menu, haha!)


Heather at Big Star Tavern (she will LOVE this pic).

Big Star Tavern.


Eee-so many things!! A few final updates before I go and grab my dark chocolate bar, tea, and a book:

My lunch break is an entire hour (hence the 9-6 work schedule), but instead of taking my lunch, I use it as my built in work-out time. This week I have been running home (about a mile), taking a nap (unfortunately I’m fighting a cold), and then running the mile back to work. I get my exercise and rest all in one, haha!

My roommates love board games as much as I do. We enjoyed Scattergories this past week, and I have been promised that I will learn Bananagrams soon.

Our dinners have been delicious, here are some highlights: homemade kale veggie burgers; black eyed peas, veggies & rice; kale and onion frittata; and Moroccan couscous. I can’t wait to make my crepes this week with a savory twist-sautéed spinach, kale, and onions with feta cheese.

Another cooking note: I tried these Greek yogurt pancakes for our Saturday morning brunch-delish, simple, and super healthy (try substituting in whole wheat flour for an extra boost!)

Our Saturday morning brunch.
What I was doing before our brunch…

Also…this is how we eat watermelon.

I can’t wait to update you all about how life continues in the city as I settle into work, take advantage of all that Chicago has to offer, and keep building relationships with my co-workers and housemates.

As always, comment with any advice or questions you have below-I love sharing this journey with you.

xx
SommerAnn


How can you NOT love this city??


View of the skyline during the Chicago Dance Festival at Millennium Park.



P.S. My fridge of events…

P.P.S. Stumbled across this book in Logan Square…a must buy for my children, haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment