Happy Hour Al Fresco: Chicago's Top Outdoor Bars

23 June 2014


Chicago summer is officially here…with the extreme humidity to prove it! While the alternating scorching sun and intense thunderstorms of the season may give you a headache, that is what makes the slightly cool evenings all the more idyllic. Even more so when you can enjoy them outdoors on your favorite bar patio with a drink in your hand. I am known for my love of a good happy hour (I would go every day if my budget allowed it!) so I thought I'd round-up some of my favorites for you!

Have a favorite outdoor bar you'll be hitting up this summer? I always want some new places to check-out for Happy Hour! Send me your reccs :)

Happy bar-hopping, Chicago!
Photo via

The Place: Big Star
The Neighborhood: Wicker Park
Bonus: It is less than a block from the Damen Blue Line stop (prime!)
The Drink: Big Star Margarita. Read: the strongest marg you'll snag this summer for under $10 with that hint of smoky Mezcal. Pair with chips & guac, or a taco and you're set.

Photo via

The Place: Scofflaw
The Neighborhood: Logan Square
The Drink: Everything ever made with gin. They are actually gin cocktail geniuses. Also tried some with bourbon and tequila bases-I trust them with anything.
Pro Tip: Eat your entire meal here. Seriously, those appetizers are amazing and a full dinner in themselves. Fries & pimento aioli: stellar for a starter. Burgers: the best (or so I've been told by my carnivorous friends)

Photo via

The Place: Parson's Chicken & Fish
The Neighborhood: Logan Square (though really on the border of Humboldt Park)
The Drink: The Negroni (duh) Slushy, boozy deliciousness
Pro tip: Go for drinks, not a meal. Food is quite on the pricey side for the quantity you receive. 

Photo via

The Place: Bullhead Cantina
The Neighborhood: Humboldt Park
The Drink: Smoked Margarita. However, you can't go wrong when every Craft Cocktail is only $5 every Tuesday and Friday. Yes, you read that correctly, $5. Tacos are also phenom for only $3. LOVED the Grilled Tilapia and Portabello, my roomies swore by the Sweet Potato and Grits & Kale.
(Confession: There isn't a TON of outdoor seating…but I had to include this place, because, $5 cocktails.)

Photo via

The Place: The Whistler
The Neighborhood: Logan Square
The Drink: Well, I sort of love anything they make with gin. And I tried a wine & whiskey which was like sangria, but better.
Pro Tip: Eat beforehand. They only have nuts. And you'll want to have more than one drink.

So, it's pretty obvious that I am in love with the west side of Chicago, huh? What can I say: great bars, great restaurants, and awesome bike lanes. Pretty much everything a Chicago girl needs.

Note: Big Star & Bullhead Cantina are all Cash Only facilities. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment